Monday, July 18, 2011

Rick's Picks: Tim Robbins & The Rogues Gallery Band

Rick's Picks of the week is Oscar winning actor Tim Robbins & The Rogues Gallery Band on July 18th at 7:30 on the Mainstage at The Triple Door.


A star of the big screen, writer, director and philanthropist, Robbins has been writing songs and performing his entire life. With the help of maverick producer Hal Willner, keyboardist Roger Eno, musical saw player David Coulter, multi-instrumentalist Kate St. John (ex-Dream Academy) and vocal contributions by Joan As Policewoman, Robbins embodies the role of singer, guitarist and storyteller on hauntingly beautiful songs which reside in the American narrative tradition.


The role of storyteller, whether as an actor on a stage or a musician in a band, is two sides of the same coin for Robbins. “My first desire to perform came from watching him on stage," says Robbins about his father, Gilbert Robbins. "I remember it as so intoxicating. Audiences were encouraged to sing along and be part of the event. That is a relationship I’ve been seeking all my life, that alchemy between performer and audience.”




The years leading up to his recording debut, at age 50, were spent finding his voice as a songwriter and performer. “I have too much respect for music to put out something that wasn't coming from a genuine place,” says Robbins. Before recording his first album Robbins wanted to “understand what my voice was and what kind of stories I wanted to tell. I think I’m ready to tell those stories now."


Buy tickets to hear the impressive collection of rousing, ragtag gypsy Americana and story telling by Tim Robbins and The Rogue Gallery Band.

No comments:

Post a Comment