Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Seattle Music Photographer ::: Shanna Petersen

Like inscribed vinyl, Shanna Petersen captures sound in moments of time- forever to be experienced at any given second. An artist of images, Shanna's work falls in the visual realm, but as a music photographer she plays an active role in recording Seattle's music community. Her photography will be on display in the Musicquarium for the month of February.


Shanna has a background in print media, but recently has focused her creativity on photography. She credits her experience as an editorial and advertising designer to her ability to see and photograph compelling angles to tell a story. We interviewed Shanna to take a snapshot of her story.

The Triple Door: If you could have a drink with any visual artist, living or dead, who would it be? What would you ask him/her?
Shanna Petersen: I thought about trying to answer this in some sort of artsy and sophisticated way and then I was like, no.... It would be Andy Warhol- not for the educational aspects, but because he would be fun to hang out with.

TD: What is your favorite historical artistic movement? Why?
SP: I've never stopped being fascinated by the connection of history, politics and photography. Our National Parks, social services, wars... so much of the past century and a half has been influenced by photography. John Muir, Ansel Adams, Dorothea Lange... they changed all of our lives by documenting moments or places and sharing what they witnessed.

TD: What are some of your other artistic outlets?
SP: I'm always a photographer. I feel very uneasy without my camera, and almost always have it with me. For fun and money, I'm frequently a graphic artist and sometimes a painter, but that comes in waves. I also write... I have a blog, which is my space to be creative in whatever way I feel compelled.

TD: What's the crazies thing you've ever done to get the best shot?
SP: I've done a lot of acrobatics involving driftwood and rocks. And when I was photographing petroglyphs in Utah, I had a geologist friend texting me directions to undisclosed locations that included things like: "you'll have to drive through a waterway... I think you should make it." But, I think the craziest thing is probably all the photos I've taken while driving. Some of my favorite Montana pictures were taken on 1-90 at 75 mph.

TD: Describe your photography is three words:
SP: Hopefully... compelling and honest.

TD: Photos capture moments in time- for us to remember. Take an imaginary photo of 10 years from now, describe it.
SP: My daughters are 11. Since before they were born, I've had this vision of the three of us - as adults- on a picnic blanket at the bottom of a waterfall in Tennessee. I'd love to set up a self-timer and take that shot after a long hike, when they are 21.

Join us for our First Thursday Art Opening with Shanna Petersen on February 7, from 5-7PM, in the Musicquarium. RSVP here >>  

1 comment: