Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A lil Q & A ~ Bob Schneider

The Triple Door welcomes back to the Mainstage Bob Schneider, whose charismatic voice casually reassures you that he won't let you down; he's the real thing.  We tossed a few questions his way before his tour hit Seattle to learn more about the man who just might call you "honeypot". Here's what we found out:

The Triple Door: What was it like growing up in Munich?
Bob Schneider: I love Munich. I don't really remember much about it from when I was growing up. I guess I went to the 1972 Olympics, but I don't remember it. I do remember some of going to the University of Maryland in Munich in the 80's. That was a blast. Probably the best two years ever. Lots of partying and not much schooling.


TD: What brought you to Texas?
BS: I was going to school in El Paso and studying fine, playing in a rock band (keyboardist), and reading Spin Magazine and they kept talking about Austin in the magazine. I read about the Butthole Surfers and True Believers and it sounded like a great music scene, so I dropped out of school and moved there.


TD: Name the number 1 song listed on your iTunes' "25 Most Played" playlist?
BS: 'Monstertruck' - it's a song I wrote with my six-year-old son when he was four. I guess I play this song a lot. Who knew?


TD: When you're not playing music, what are you doing?
BS: I'm writing music or making art or taking care of my son or maybe going to see a movie. I keep pretty busy creating stuff. It mainly means I don't really have any kind of social life. It's pretty sad, really.


TD: What was the first song you ever played/sang?
BS: I think the first song I learned was "als ich in den garden kam" which is a traditional German kids' song. I think I was three or four and I used to perform this song with my sister in front of groups of drunks at my house, sometimes late in the night.


TD: If you could play with any musician, living or dead, who would it be?
BS: My favorite artist is Tom Waits, so that would be the guy.


TD: What was the best concert you ever attended?
BS: Tom Waits live at The Paramount a few years ago at SXSW. I basically cried through every song and then went crazy between songs. The energy in the room was unbelievable.


TD: If you could perform in any city in the world, where would you?
BS: Seattle


TD: What's you most embarrassing on stage experience?
BS: I was playing a show at The Belly Up in San Diego and was insisting that the crowd clap their hands. There was a girl in the front row who refused to do it and I was giving her a hard time about it. Eventually I realized that she only had one arm.




Catch Bob Schneider w/ Laura Warshauer on June 4th and June 5th at 7:30 pm on the Mainstage.

No comments:

Post a Comment