Monday, December 24, 2012

A lil' Q&A ~ Barbie Anaka

With a clear, fresh voice, jazz vocalist Barbie Anaka will bring sophisticated songwriting, deep emotions and smooth jazz to The Triple Door this January. Joining Barbie Anaka will be a 10 piece band, including former Kenny G percussionist Tony Gable, for a night of solid grooves, seductive soul and pure Northwest contemporary jazz perfection. We interviewed Barbie, via email, to ask the light-hearted questions not all are prepared to answer. 


The Triple Door: Who are you currently listening to?
Barbie Anaka: I'm listening to Donyea Goodman's "Groovin' at Sunrise". He's a gifted producer/multi-instrumentalist/composer like George Duke.

TD: Name your biggest guilty pleasure, musically?
BA: Teena Marie

TD: Nina Simone of Ella Fitzgerald? 
BA: Easy one. Ella. She's influenced me a lot.

TD: What's the song to your life's soundtrack this year?
BA: "Win" by Brian McKnight.

TD: If you could play with any musician, living or dead, who would it be?
BA: Prince!

TD: Who would play you in a movie about your life?
BA: I would like to see J.Lo play me.

TD: How would you describe the perfect day?
BA: Having no agenda and no schedule, no interruptions... with sunshine through the windows and a view of the ocean... being free to create.

TD: What's your most embarrassing on stage experience? 
BA: I don't have very good spatial ability or depth perception, so in tight spaces on stage with my band I've been known to knock over or run into things (I always warn my band members I flail sometimes... meaning I sing with my hands, too). One night while playing at The Edgewater Hotel, I bent down to pick up my water glass, which was on the ground... not realizing the drummer's cymbal stand was sticking out, and it virtually stabbed me in the backside! It was incredibly painful, but the song had already started, so I had to grin and bear it. It became a serious purple and black bruise later on.

TD: What inspires you to play music?
BA: God definitely inspires me and keep me going on this path. I'm inspired by people who enjoy my music and come see us play live, too.

TD: What is your superpower? 
BA: My intuition. Sometimes I know what people will say before they say it.

TD: Who is your musician crush?
BA: Besides Prince?? ADAM LEVINE! 

See Barbie Anaka on January 6 at 7:30. Tickets here>> 

No comments:

Post a Comment