Friday, December 28, 2012

Asymmetric Memory ::: Emily Joesph

We're pleased to extend the experience beyond music-and into the realm of visual art- with Asymmetric Memory: An Exhibit by Emily Joesph, in the Musicquarium, for the month of January. Emily Joesph captures the recollections of her past, and their environments, through intricate geometric grids and colors schemes based on hues of hair, eyes and flesh. 


We interviewed Emily to skim the surface of her experience as an artist. 

The Triple Door: What inspires you to create?
Emily Joesph: That is one of the hardest questions to answer, because I really believe that the inspiration to create comes from something innate, a need to create. I am so inspired by people, places, objects, and experiences everyday. I enjoy looking at the works of other artists to inspire me to develop my own visual language, yet looking at old photographs, walking around the city, or listening to memorable music can inspire me to draw, paint or design new works.

TD: Who's artwork are you diggin' right now?
EJ: I have been influenced by so many amazing artists, but I am really loving the work of Francesca DiMattio and local painter, Mary Iverson, at the moment.

TD: How long does it take for you to complete a piece?
EJ: Completion of a piece varies widely between my work. The larger the work, the longer it takes, definitely. There are a few paintings I have spent several months working on, layering, until I get to the point that I think the piece can exist on its own for a while. I like to let the work rest and step away for a while before I really decide if it is complete. Most of the smaller pieces, including the printmaking, develop more as a fluid experiment with new ideas.

TD: Do you listen to music while you create? Do you choose music to fit your artistic mood, or do you choose music to create an artistic mood?
EJ: I do listen to music while I am working. I usually pick something to fit whatever mood I'm in when I get to the studio, but generally, if I want to get a lot of work done, I have to pick a long and cohesive playlist. I don't like stopping to change the song because it is something that has pulled me out of the moment.

TD: What is your favorite gallery/museum in Seattle? The world? Why?
EJ: In the Seattle art scene, I am really loving the Henry Gallery. They have had some really great contemporary work come through, usually intermingled with more classic work through a common theme. I thought the Jeffrey Mitchell show was fantastic! Out of the museums and galleries in the world, that might be an impossible task to pick a favorite... Going to museums and galleries is one of the best feelings, spending time quietly by yourself or discussing the experience with a friend. I am really lucky to have traveled quite a bit- visiting a lot of the big museums and galleries- I have a soft spot for Mass Moca, because it is one of the first contemporary museums I ever experienced as a young girl.

Join us for our First Thursday Art Opening w/ Asymmetric Memory: An Exhibit by Emily Joesph on January 3 at 5PM, with extended happy hour specials until 9PM {21+}. RSVP here>> 

A note from Emily: "Windows are used as a means of observation, a way of looking in or out of a space in a specific place and time. The foundation for my work is built upon a succession of windows formed through fragmented portraiture and recollections of the past. Each image is an intricate geometric grid based on hues of hair, eye, and flesh. The grid itself forms an abstracted visual system for displaying memories from the past that have been fractured and re-remembered over time. Figures and their environments are pared down and woven into a lattice of tonal color. Formally, through the systematic de-construction of images and the layering of the basic chromatic components, I aim to pull selected hues from the body and its environment out into columns in space. Geometric grids developed out of his practice form stratified windows that systematically frame the memories form my personal history."

No comments:

Post a Comment